Born and raised in Scotland, Chris Michie has almost two decades of experience as a litigator in the United States courts. He spent over fifteen years at Dechert LLP, first as an associate and then as a partner. Over the course of his career, he has represented clients in a wide array of matters, including complex commercial and product liability cases. He has also handled literally scores of consumer class actions in state and federal courts throughout the United States, as well as before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Chris also has experience working as an in-house lawyer. From 2001 through 2003, he was seconded to Philip Morris Management Corp., managing complex litigation in the United States and Europe. From 2003 through 2004, he was seconded to Philip Morris International Management, S.A., working on international litigation, investigations and compliance issues in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Chris has been an author and lecturer on consumer protection and class action issues. He was named as a national star in the products liability field by Benchmark Litigation in 2011. In 2009, the New Jersey Law Journal identified Chris as one of the top 40 lawyers in the state under the age of 40.
Chris is a member of the civil pro bono panel of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He also represents the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey in public interest cases. In recognition of his work in this area, he was a recipient of the ACLU-NJ’s 2009 Legal Leadership Award.
Chris is a graduate of the University of Glasgow School of Law, Scotland (LL.B., Hons., 1991), and Rutgers University School of Law-Newark (J.D., 1995).
- Standing Under the Truth in Consumer Contract, Warranty & Notice Act, New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Convention (May 2017)
- Absent Class Members and Constitutional Standing, Law360 (July 2015)
- Skunk at the Garden Party, the Role of Objectors in the Settlement of Class Actions, New Jersey Lawyer (April 2015)
- Rubin v. J. Crew Grp., Inc., 2017 WL 1170854 (D.N.J. Mar. 29, 2017)
- Paff v. Galloway Twp., 134 A.3d 42 (N.J. App. Div. 2016)
- Desimone v. Springpoint Senior Living, Inc., 2015 WL 2458021 (N.J. App. Div. 2015)
- Motwani v. Marina Dist. Dev. Co., LLC, 2015 WL 3448171 (D.N.J. 2015)
- Sköld v. Galderma Labs., L.P., 99 F. Supp. 3d 585 (E.D. Pa. 2015)
- Elias v. Ungar’s Food Prods., Inc., 2009 WL 2581502 (D.N.J. 2009)
- Colon v. Passaic County, 2009 WL 1560156 (D.N.J. 2009)
- Sinclair v. Merck & Co., Inc., 948 A.2d 587 (N.J. 2008)
- Mason v. City of Hoboken, 951 A.2d 1017 (N.J. 2008)
- Int’l. Union of Op. Eng’rs. v. Merck & Co. Inc., 894 A.2d 1136 (N.J. App. Div. 2006)
- Adamson v. Ortho-McNeil Pharm., Inc. 463 F.Supp.2d 496 (D.N.J. 2006)
- Williams v. Morton, 343 F.3d 212 (3d Cir. 2003)
- Brown v. Philip Morris Inc., 228 F.Supp.2d 506 (D.N.J. 2002)
- Midili v. Philip Morris, Inc., 2000 WL 35518430 (D.N.J. 2000)
- Cosentino v. Philip Morris Inc., 1998 WL 34168879 (N.J. Law Div. 1998)
- Ehrich v. BAT Indus. P.L.C., 964 F.Supp. 164 (D.N.J. 1997)
- In Re Hudsar Inc., 199 B.R. 266 (Bankr. D.N.J. 1996)
- Erkins v. Case Power & Equip. Co., 164 F.R.D. 31 (D.N.J. 1995)